User Experience in the Cosmetics Industry

I challenged myself to create an article about User Experience design. It’s a topic that very much interests me, and I wanted to learn more about it. I had to decide what precisely within UX design do I want to focus on, so I decided to go with the process of how UX designers create a positive experience for the user. I wanted to show that through the cosmetics industry. This webpage is the home of my entire journey from start to finish.

Here is my final product:

How did I get there? Continue reading to find out!

I started by trying to figure out what I wanted to do for this project. I had a seven-week time limit, so I knew it had to be achievable at that time. I began by thinking of all my interests, and I knew I wanted to work on something that I enjoyed because seven weeks is a long time, and I didn’t want to hate it halfway through. After figuring out what I wanted to do, I created a Project Proposal to get the ball rolling. 

The Project Plan was next. It made me create a schedule and stick to it. I procrastinate, and this project plan was supposed to keep me on track and in check, to make sure I didn’t fall behind or forget to do something. I would be lying if I said that I stuck to it and didn’t procrastinate at least a little bit. I’m human, I make mistakes and if I’m not motivated to do work, then I won’t. 

After the second week of my seven weeks, I started keeping a Production Journal to keep myself accountable and so that I could look back on it later to see what I did when.

While I was working on this project, the outside world was going through a lot. The two most significant issues happening that were taking over the news were COVID-19, and the Black Lives Matter protests. With that on the news every day, I could barely tear my eyes away from my phone or laptop to do work

But I had to continue doing work so I pushed through. So, I created my visuals for the project. I started with this:

And turned it into this:

The Why, What, and How of UX Design
User-Centered Design
Solving Problems

I then started the user-testing part of my project. I found seven women who wanted to do the test. I asked all of them to go onto the four cosmetics websites,,,, and BH They had to find red lipstick using the filter feature on each site. They then had to give feedback on four dimensions of each website. The four dimensions were appearance, credibility, loyalty, and usability. Below are all of the interviewees’ responses.

After the user-testing analysis was complete I took one website and feature that received the most negative responses. The website and feature were, Ulta’s filter feature. This is what their filter feature looks like currently:, Lipstick page

I then took all of the feedback and designed four wireframes that showcased the filter feature in different ways. Below are the first and final drafts of each wireframe.

Above you can see how I first designed the layout (left) and then added all of the pieces to make sure that users could understand what the website would look like with the new designs (right). I then chose the best design that I believed users would have the best experience with and compared it to the original.

After gathering all of this information, I then set to work to write. The writing process was challenging to start because you want to capture people from the beginning to make sure they stick around to the end. After writing, I put everything together and came up with the final product. 

I can happily say that I enjoyed making my project from start to finish.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s