The word “coding” sounds so official and intimidating. But I did it. I coded for the first time. It was enjoyable. I mean, I only had to copy and paste a basic code into TextEdit and fill in the blanks, but that’s harder than you would think. I had to go through a lot of steps, and I had to research a lot along the way.
Below is the code that I filled in with the necessary information and how it looked when it was in a browser.
As you can see in the image of the browser, I have no title, and the image doesn’t show up. But I didn’t want it to be one big paragraph. I wanted to break it up into two smaller paragraphs and have the image underneath. So I had to create a new paragraph code. I thought I did that in the code above, but I realized that I made a mistake. I wrote <p1>, </p1> and <p2>, </p2> , to show that there was Paragraph 1 and Paragraph 2. However, that was the wrong way to do it. So I fixed this mistake by making them both <p>, </p> and then I got the two paragraphs I wanted. I also successfully added the title in the correct coding location.
Now that I had the text the way I wanted it, I started working on the image. As you can see, the picture doesn’t show up even though I do have it coded, so I did some research and found that the image needs to be in the same file location as the HTML code as soon as I fixed that the image popped up immediately. But I didn’t want the image to be on the left-hand side of the page. I wanted it in the center, so I did some more research and found a code that would center the image.
Once I had the code the way I wanted it to look, I put it through a Validator, which checked my coding to make sure there were no errors. After that, I transferred the file to MyWebspace using a File Transfer Server, FileZilla. This was by far the hardest part. I could not add the server to FileZilla and I eventually was able to do so but it took me the longest and I became the most frustrated with this step. But I eventually was able to connect the server and upload my documents. Below is the link!
When I started the coding, I knew it wasn’t going to be easy, so I knew I would have to do a lot of additional research, which is what I had to do. It also takes a lot of patience, which is something I lack more often than not. Coding tested my patience; I started to get a little frustrated when the code wasn’t portraying what I thought I coded. I quickly realized that getting frustrated doesn’t make the process go faster, and I needed to remind myself that this was my first time coding. This entire process is trial and error.
Overall, I am surprised at how much fun I had, even though there were points where I was frustrated while doing this. I’ve always been intimidated by coding because I was scared I wouldn’t be able to pick it up, and I would be awful at it. But I can happily say I did it, and with more practice, I can improve and ultimately accomplish more complex coding.